close

Sports

[Sports]Favre on his future: ‘Tomorrow I may not remember who I am’

farve

Football is a dangerous game. Brett Favre knows all about that. Over the course of a 20-year career, Favre got hit. A LOT. In all, he would take 525 sacks. He would play through countless injuries. Given all this, he knows that tomorrow is uncertain. In fact, he doesn’t know what tomorrow may hold.

“I’m able to function the way I so choose, at least up to this point. I stay active. … Tomorrow may be totally different. Tomorrow I may not remember who I am, I may not know where I live, and that’s the frightening thing for us football players.”

But what about the future of football? What about his grandchildren? Favre knows that with his name comes a legacy. But he’s in no rush to see them play the game he spent decades playing

“I’m not going to encourage him to play football. I’m not saying I would discourage him, but I would be cringing every time I saw my grandson get tackled, because I know, physically, what’s at stake.”

His oldest grandchild, who is eight years old, is still very much a child. But Favre knows how early this game can grab you. He also knows how quickly this game can break you. As the years pass, more and more concussions come to the forefront. But it’s not just concussions, it’s the general meat grinder that the game of football can be. Bodies are broken on a weekly basis, and as the game gets faster the injuries get worse. Especially when it comes to the brain.
Favre knows there’s no reason to push it. The irony being, of course, that the gunslinger would make a career out of pushing it. Sometimes it just takes folks a little bit of time to realize it.

read more

[Boxing News]Neither Victor Ortiz nor Devon Alexander can afford to lose

box

 

Neither Victor Ortiz nor Devon Alexander can afford to lose
Victor Ortiz and Devon Alexander fight Saturday in Texas, writes Joe Walker

VICTOR ORTIZ 32-6-2 (25) will fight former two division world champion Devon Alexander 27-4 (14) on Saturday night (February 17), headlining a TGB Promotions Premier Boxing Champions card on FOX from the Don Haskins Center, El Paso, Texas.
While the big fights in the welterweight division of Errol Spence and Keith Thurman may be some way off, both fighters will hope to take a step in the right direction on Saturday.

Ortiz comes off the back of a fourth round stoppage over little known fighter Saul Corral in Bakersfield last July, which did not do much to shrug off his loss to Andre Berto a year and a half ago in their rematch. With a successful acting career and other ventures, many thought Ortiz’ boxing career was ending. Now, aged 31 he faces a stern test in Devon Alexander.
“I’ve been counted out many times in this sport. Being on this stage is very significant for me, thankfully I have people who don’t stop believing in me.
“I’ve seen both sides and been in the middle, at this point, the only place I’m focused on going is up,” Ortiz said in a pre-fight press conference.
Alexander finds himself at a similar point in his career to Ortiz. A win last year, preceded by two defeats to Aaron Martinez and Amir Khan, he can afford nothing but a win if he hopes to turn his career around.
“Beat this guy, that’s all I’m going to do, that’s all I’m prepared to do, that’s all I want to do, it’s all I’ve been dreaming about doing so anything else doesn’t mean anything.
“You guys want to see me win and get back to the top, so that’s what I plan on doing, so get ready,” said Alexander.
Ortiz has been in a few wars in his career, choosing to stand and trade with fighters he should have out boxed such as Josesito Lopez, Berto and Luis Collazo, who in return handed him shock defeats. If he boxes Alexander he stands a chance of winning, but if Alexander can take the fight to the later rounds he could take this one.
Ortiz has been known to quit as fights have progressed in the past, against Marcos Maidana in a career defining moment, he withdrew after he was put down in the sixth round. Against Floyd Mayweather, frustrated and beaten he threw a head butt, of which Mayweather responded by knocking him down as they touched gloves to recontinue.

How much of Alexander’s speed and power he has left remains to be seen but he’ll hope to find gaps in Ortiz’s defence to use his fast right hand that has devastated opponents in the past, namely Marcos Maidana who didn’t have any answers for it back in 2012.
This fight will mark the end of one of the fighter’s long careers and it’ll come down to who wants it more.

read more

[Boxing] Fight Results “Spence vs. Peterson”

spence-peterson-fight(17)

With violent efficiency, Errol Spence forced a corner retirement from Lamont Peterson that reminded that not all corner retirements are the same. The look on the face of trainer Barry Hunter, the anguish in deciding whether to halt the fight or not, was as touching a moment as boxing might have in 2018.
That was the face, the decision, of a man who truly loved the fighter in the corner. Peterson made a game effort, especially coming off the floor in the fifth. Peterson fought to stay on his feet, to make the bell, with the same grit that has marked so much of his career.
It was to little avail. The man in front of him is too good right now.Spence is the future of the new era of boxing. Spence vs. Thurmond should be exciting later this year.

 

 

read more

{SPORTS} BOXING

KHAN

Amir Khan will announce his plans to return to the boxing ring in 2018 on Wednesday.
The 31-year-old, who has not fought since losing to Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez in May 2016, will be making a major announcement at the Dorchester Hotel, Mayfair, London.
The former unified world champion was most recently in the public eye when he appeared on ITV programme ‘I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here’ in the latter half of 2017.

In November last year, Khan said he still wants a fight with Kell Brook, but admitted they both need to rebuild their careers with wins before settling their long-running rivalry.
Khan has previously said he wants his next fight to be in the UK.

Amir Khan is over my opinion is done. He is Rich and young

read more

[SPORTS] Papa John’s says NFL protests are hurting sales

nfl

Papa John’s is blaming the NFL for hitting its bottom line.

The pizza company, which has been a league sponsor since 2010, sliced its sales and profit forecasts on Tuesday. And Papa John’s founder and CEO John Schnatter wasn’t shy about who he thinks is to blame for the “debacle”: Commissioner Roger Goodell.

“Leadership starts at the top, and this is an example of poor leadership,” Schnatter said on a conference call with investors Wednesday. “The NFL has hurt Papa John’s shareholders.”

NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart declined to comment on Schnatter’s comments.

NFL ratings, like the rest of network television, are in a slump. Through Week 7, NFL viewership is down 5% overall from the same point last year.

Though the ratings slump has many causes, some NFL fans may have tuned out because of the controversy over players kneeling during the National Anthem to protest police violence.

President Trump has called on fans to boycott the NFL if the league doesn’t crack down on protests. Last month, Vice President Mike Pence left an Indianapolis Colts game after San Francisco 49ers’ players took a knee during the anthem.

At a league meeting last month, Goodell and the NFL owners opted not to force players to stand during the Anthem.

The NFL may be part of the problems Papa John’s faces, but it’s far from the only one. The stock is down 24% this year, while competitors including Domino’s (DPZ) have performed well (Domino’s stock is up 12% this year).

Still, Schnatter put the NFL squarely at fault. He specifically cited the anthem protests as the root of the problem.

“This should have been nipped in the bud a year and a half ago,” Schnatter said. “The controversy is polarizing the customer, polarizing the country.”

In response, Papa John’s has pulled some of its planned commercials from NFL games this season. Schnatter said the NFL has promised to give the pizza company future spots in return.

“It indeed appears that National Football League strife may be weighing on same-store sales to some degree, with Papa John’s as the NFL’s Official Pizza Sponsor bearing some brunt of this issue,” Instinet analysts wrote in a research note Tuesday. “Sponsorship of NFL = No Free Lunch.”

Papa John’s still expects sales to increase by 1.5% in North America this year, but that’s down from its previous estimates.

Shares of Papa John’s (PZZA) tumbled 9% on the lowered estimates.

read more

[SPORTS] BOXER HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP FOUND DOPING

cuba

Cuba’s Luis Ortiz has failed a drug test only weeks before he was due to challenge for the World Boxing Council (WBC) heavyweight title.
WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman revealed they were notified of the positive drug test by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA), part of the governing body’s clean boxing program.
Ortiz was due to box WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder on November 4 in a major event at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn in New York City.
While Ortiz can appeal, this is not the first time he has failed a drug test.
He was World Boxing Association interim heavyweight champion from 2015 to 2016 but his first reign was nullified via no contest when he was stripped of the title when it was revealed he had tested positive for prohibited substance in 2014.
The 38-year-old, nicknamed “The Real King Kong”, has won 27 of his 29 professional fights, 23 of them by knock-out.
Before turning professional in 2010, Ortiz won 343 of his 326 amateur fights.
Among the titles he won was the World Cup in Moscow and the Panamerican Championships in 2005.
The winner of Wilder-Ortiz would have been most likely to fight Anthony Joshua, in one of the most lucrative showdowns in the sport, in 2018.
Wilder, the Olympic bronze medalist at Beijing 2008, has lost out on big fights  before due to opponents failing drug tests, notably a significant showdown with Alexander Povetkin in Russia in 2016.
Ahead of a fight in February this year, his original opponent Andrzej Wawrzyk also tested positive for a banned substance.
At least, there are substitutes on the November 4 bill, with former world champion Bermane Stiverne and former world title challenger Dominic Breazeale  due to box each other.

read more

[SPORTS] Fans upset by protests can get Sunday Ticket refunds

directv-logo-2017-e1492114801738

DirecTV is offering unprecedented refunds for fans who want to cancel their NFL Sunday Ticket package, if they inform the company that they are doing so due to the recent protests during the national anthem, a source confirmed.

Once the season starts, fans usually cannot cancel their subscriptions, but AT&T, which owns DirecTV, decided to change the policy due to the sensitivity of the issue. The price of the package, which allows fans to get out-of-market games, is about $280.

An AT&T spokesperson declined to confirm the cancellation policy and said the company would have no numbers to share.

The exemption was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

Roughly 180 players chose not to stand for the national anthem in Week 3, while three teams — the Tennessee Titans, Pittsburgh Steelers and Seattle Seahawks — did not come to the sideline for the anthem. On Monday night, the Dallas Cowboys chose to kneel in unison before the anthem.

Players were emboldened after being challenged by President Donald Trump, who Friday night at a speech in Alabama, encouraged NFL owners to “fire” players who didn’t stand for the national anthem.

The stance, which Trump continued to assert throughout the weekend, had the opposite effect. Almost all of the league’s owners responded with statements affirming the players’ right to protest, as players and executives went as far as to coordinate their actions.

Not everyone was happy.

At some stadiums, fans booed the players. Others took to Twitter to say they were canceling their Sunday Ticket subscriptions.

An NFL spokesman says ratings overall were up 3 percent for Week 3 compared with Week 3 of last year, thanks in large part to the competitive game on Monday Night Football involving the Dallas Cowboys.The increase also was due to the fact that last year’s Monday Night Football game was competing against a presidential debate.

read more

[Sports] Donald Trump says Warriors not welcome at White House

WarriorsWhiteHouseTrump

President Donald Trump tweeted Saturday morning that the Golden State Warriors are not welcome at the White House to celebrate their 2017 NBA championship.

There had been no previous indication of a White House invitation for the Warriors. ESPN reported late Thursday night that the NBA had been in communication with the White House on the matter and believed an invitation would be extended, if the team decided as a group to attend.

read more

[SPORTS] Golovkin-Canelo: Triple G robbery very damaging result for boxing

ggg11

Poor decisions happen all the time and don’t get me wrong this fight was close but Golovkin won and the 118-110 score for Canelo from Adelaide Byrd in particular has enraged fans and media throughout the world. In a 2017 which has seen great action, unification bouts and an undisputed champion crowned in Terrence Crawford this decision has brought out the ugly side of boxing once again. In the last few months I felt the Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor fight could undo the great work but it was fine. Awful decisions, corruption and flawed scoring are what is destroying boxing today.

 

I SCORED THE FIGHT 8RDS TO 4 RDS GGG . EMAIL AARON@FLEETDJS.COM IF YOU LIKE TO LEAVE A COMMENT.

read more
1 2 3 71
Page 1 of 71