Poor decisions happen all the time and don’t get me wrong this fight was close but Golovkin won and the 118-110 score for Canelo from Adelaide Byrd in particular has enraged fans and media throughout the world. In a 2017 which has seen great action, unification bouts and an undisputed champion crowned in Terrence Crawford this decision has brought out the ugly side of boxing once again. In the last few months I felt the Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor fight could undo the great work but it was fine. Awful decisions, corruption and flawed scoring are what is destroying boxing today.
I SCORED THE FIGHT 8RDS TO 4 RDS GGG . EMAIL AARON@FLEETDJS.COM IF YOU LIKE TO LEAVE A COMMENT.
Unified middleweight world titleholder Gennady Golovkin will defend his belts against former champion Canelo Alvarez on Saturday, Sept. 16.
Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) has 18 straight defenses in the division and is looking to get closer to the record held by Bernardo Hopkins, who made 20 middleweight title defenses between 1994 and 2005.
Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) will now campaign as a full-fledged 160-pound middleweight following his one-sided unanimous decision victory against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on May 6. Alvarez hasn’t lost a fight since dropping a majority decision against Floyd Mayweather in 2013.
On May 6, moments after Canelo Alvarez finished rolling over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in a shutout decision that wasn’t competitive for a moment, Gennady Golovkin’s ring walk music — The White Stripes’ “Seven Nation Army” — hit, and the T-Mobile Arena crowd suddenly perked up and erupted in cheers.
In pure WWE style, Alvarez had called Golovkin to the ring to tell him he was next, and GGG made his way to the ring for a joint interview to close the HBO PPV telecast. At long last, the mega match had been made official nearly two years after it had become the next must-see fight in boxing, but put off by Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions, Alvarez’s promoter, who didn’t want to risk his cash cow just yet while allowing him to grow into a true middleweight.
However long it took, Golovkin finally has the big fight he craved and dreamed of for years. Golovkin and Alvarez will meet to determine middleweight supremacy and quite possibly No. 1 on the pound-for-pound list on Saturday (HBO PPV, 8 p.m. ET) at T-Mobile Arena in one of the most anticipated fights in years.
“It is [the] biggest fight for boxing. Two warriors, two big boxers and I think great style,” said Golovkin, who will be making his 19th title defense, one shy of Bernard Hopkins’ division record. “Canelo’s style and my style [are] very close and very similar. [It’s] very interesting. I feel good right now. I think he feels [the] best of his career right now. I think this is the biggest test for us. Who’s stronger? Who is boxing’s No. 1 pound-for-pound in the world?”
A fight of this magnitude has been a long time coming for Golovkin, who finally landed a huge fight at age 35 and after 11 years as a professional.
“We have been talking about this fight for years,” Golovkin said. “The last two years, I lose interest, because after every fight, Golden Boy said, ‘No. OK, maybe next fight.'”
Golovkin was particularly stung when after Alvarez drilled Amir Khan in May 2016, De La Hoya said he would attempt to make the fight next and didn’t. Alvarez even vacated a middleweight world title last year in order to put off a mandatory fight with Golovkin.
“I remember the situation after the Amir Khan fight, when I go into the ring,” GGG said. “Oscar De La Hoya said, ‘This is a good day for us and I will call GGG’s manager tomorrow.’ I think it was hard on the fans, too. The fans are hungry for this fight. After the Julio Cesar Chavez fight, I believed it is possible for us, and in June I see Canelo’s face and it is more serious. He is ready. This was not like Canelo not being ready. It was Golden Boy not being ready.”
Abel Sanchez, Golovkin’s trainer, couldn’t believe how long it took for GGG to get a truly big fight.
“I was surprised a silver medalist (for Kazakhstan in the 2004 Olympics) with 350 amateur fights and five losses, [who] beat the major players at that time in boxing, wasn’t getting recognition,” Sanchez said.
For years, Golovkin, as exciting to watch and as talented as anyone, nonetheless toiled. He was signed to Germany’s Universum Box-Promotions, the now-defunct onetime powerhouse, but he was largely ignored by the company, which was more interested in putting its muscle behind an assortment of German titleholders and ticket sellers. Golovkin was neither German nor a ticket seller and relegated to undercards in nondescript fights.
Even when GGG ascended to the mandatory position for then-middleweight titleholder Felix Sturm, a major star for Universum, he could not get the fight. Universum denied him over and over, prompting him to bolt the promotional company, which sued him and forced Golovkin to hit the road for fights.
Sanchez remembers those days well.
“We had to go to Panama to fight for nothing; we went to Germany and fought for nothing; went to Ukraine – fought for nothing,” Sanchez said. “But it was a way of building his name up, building his reputation up, building everything up. We were willing to do the sacrifice in order to get him to this point now.”
It was a long road but Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs), who now lives in Santa Monica, California, with his wife, son and an infant daughter who was born on Friday.
Sanchez said there were times where Golovkin was frustrated by not being able to get a major pay-per-view dance partner even after he had unified belts and became an HBO staple.
“Many times (we talked about it). I’d say that you got to keep winning. Just keep winning, keep doing what you’re doing, keep knocking people out,” Sanchez said. “Eventually those guys are going to have to come to you.”
In 2012 Golovkin hooked up with promoter Tom Loeffler, who went to work trying to get Golovkin a televised fight in the United States.
“The blueprint was, when we met with HBO, we said Gennady will fight anyone,” Loeffler said. “They had a list of 20 fighters, 20 names of different fighters, anywhere from 154 (pounds) to 168, and Abel and Gennady didn’t turn down any one of those. That blew HBO away. They’ve never been used to someone willing to fight everyone. They realized, if there wasn’t a fight that was able to be made, it wasn’t on the GGG side. I was very transparent with all the negotiations, everyone that we reached out to.”
Five years ago this month, Golovkin made his American and HBO debut and absolutely destroyed solid contender Grzegorz Proksa in five one-sided rounds. He had arrived and became a staple on HBO, but still couldn’t get a top opponent to get into the ring with him even though he was developing a big fan base, selling out Madison Square Garden in New York and The Forum and StubHub Center in Southern California.
It was nothing new for top fighters to find reasons not fight Golovkin, he of the recently finished streak of 23 knockouts in a row.
Sturm blatantly ducked him. Sergio Martinez was shielded from him and his handlers didn’t even try to hide it with promoter Lou DiBella saying he would never match his meal ticket “with that beast.” Miguel Cotto was not interested. Titleholder Billy Joe Saunders turned down the fight and career money. Contender Chris Eubank Jr. did the same. It got so bad that Golovkin went to London last September to defend against Kell Brook, a welterweight titlist at the time, who moved up two weight classes because had his own issues getting a marquee opponent.
Instead Golovkin, who will be fighting in Las Vegas for the first time, feasted on solid contenders but not the best of the division, though he was able to unify belts when David Lemieux dared to be great by putting his title on the line in late 2015.
Then it appeared that Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs), 27, of Mexico, was going to avoid him also as De La Hoya made Golovkin wait nearly two years for the fight.
“This is the fight that we’ve been working for,” Loeffler said. “Every fight in Gennady’s career, really since he made his HBO debut September 2012 — this fight is almost five years to the day — and every fight since then, this is really the fight that we’ve been working for. It would have been great if he’d had this type of fight earlier in his career, but the other name opponents, or the champions even, weren’t willing to get in the ring with him.
“All the knockouts, all the training, all the hard work, all the sacrifice that Gennady’s made has been built toward this exact fight in his career.”
For Golovkin, this fight is exactly where he wants to be. It is what he has yearned for years, to prove himself against another one of the best fighters in the world. There is a sense of relief in him that he finally has it.
“All my career I’ve been denied the fights I’ve wanted,” Golovkin said. “That ends Saturday night.”
Odell Beckham Jr. returned to practice in a limited capacity Thursday, revealing that he’s dealing with a six- to eight-week injury timeline for his ankle that has already cost him the New York Giants’ season opener against the Dallas Cowboys.
It has been 24 days since Beckham went down following an ugly preseason hit that bent his left leg inward on a Monday night against the Cleveland Browns. The Giants play the Detroit Lions this Monday night, exactly four weeks since the injury.
Beckham, despite testing the ankle before the Giants’ 19-3 loss to the Cowboys, wasn’t really close to playing Sunday because he hadn’t practiced all week.
“I don’t really know how realistic it was,” Beckham said. “As bad as I wanted to play, it just wasn’t there. It had been three weeks after the injury. It hasn’t even been a month since it happened. This is a six- to eight-week thing. Unfortunately, as much as I was trying my hardest to get there, it just wasn’t enough time.”
The Giants’ top playmaker is making progress as he practiced Thursday for the first time since the injury.
“It felt good. It felt good just to be back out there,” Beckham said. “Something about — it’s just when you put that helmet on, it’s a different mode. When you put the helmet on and go out there and warm up and when we got to individuals, I was running routes. I was feeling pretty good.
“So, like I said, we’re definitely taking major strides in the right direction. It’s a matter of time.”
Beckham was running, jumping and cutting better and more freely during practice Thursday.
It will be important to see how he bounces back for the Giants’ longest and most physical practice of the week on Friday, but there seemed to be optimism that he will play against the Lions.
“More than last week,” coach Ben McAdoo said. “We got him out there [to practice].”
It helps the Giants have the extra day since they’re playing Monday night. While his teammates had Monday and Tuesday off, Beckham concentrated on treatment those days.
Beckham again wouldn’t say whether he was dealing with a high ankle sprain. The Giants have simply called it an ankle injury and never detailed a timeframe for his return.
“I’m not a doctor, really,” Beckham said. “I don’t know how long it is. I’m just — there’s guidelines. It could be four to 12 weeks. You never know. Everybody heals differently.”
The rehab process for Beckham has been extensive. That doesn’t mean it has been enjoyable. He watched his teammates flop in the season opener against the Cowboys. The Giants had two first downs in the first half and finished with three points.
Beckham wanted to play Sunday. He wants to play Monday against the Lions, and said he’s doing everything possible to make it happen.
“I personally don’t want to get up at 6:30 every morning, get here for 7 o’clock treatment. The days we have off, I’m here at 10 o’clock for treatment. I go home, I do 5-6 hours of treatment,” Beckham said. “It’s boring. It’s not fun. Nobody wants to do that and definitely work all offseason and everything to get to Dallas and have to sit there. So I’m itching to get back on the field.”
He also warned he didn’t want this to be like his rookie season, when he returned early from a hamstring injury and suffered a setback.
“It’s like when I had the hamstring injury and you come back. You don’t know if it’s too early or not, and it gets reinjured and you set yourself back for another 5-6 weeks. I don’t have that luxury right now,” Beckham said. “So it’s a matter of getting to a point where you know you’re confident in it, it’s confident in itself and you can go. And you don’t have to worry about it.”
Former four division world champion Adrien Broner went ballistic on the Las Vegas strip Friday night … violently shoving a woman and knocking an unidentified guy out cold.
TMZ Sports obtained the video, which starts with Broner taking pics with fans. Moments later he snaps, but it’s unclear why. The former world champ appears enraged as he walks near the MGM.
A female companion tried to calm him down, but Broner isn’t having it and shoves her, sending her flying backward. Then he uncorks a ferocious knockout blow to a guy who went down for the count.
In recent years BRONER has been in numerous issues out of sports. Lets not judge the situation until all facts are let out. If the dude was talking sh$t he had it coming.
The Detroit Lions and Matthew Stafford agreed on a contract extension Monday that is worth $135 million over five years and will make the ninth-year quarterback the highest-paid player in NFL history.
At a reported annual value of slightly more than $27 million, Stafford’s contract tops that of Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, who led the league for about two months after inking a five-year, $125 million pact in June.
The next NFL salary record could be set by Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins, who is playing on his second straight one-year deal after the team again used the franchise tag on him. Other quarterbacks who could be signing major contract extensions in the near future include Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Matt Ryan
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (50-0, 26 KOs) was able to walk the supposedly big punching Conor McGregor (0-1) down and stop him in the 10th round last Saturday night. UFC star McGregor, 29, came into the fight with Mayweather having a reputation as a knockout artist in the UFC, where he holds 2 titles.
Against Mayweather, the southpaw McGregor didn’t look powerful at all. He was mostly hitting Mayweather with arm punches for 10 rounds. Mayweather said after the fight that if McGregor was a big puncher, he wouldn’t have walked him down the way he did in their mega-fight at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
“As far as his punching power – he’s solid,” Mayweather said after the fight. “I’ve felt it before, so that’s why I kept coming straight ahead. Obviously, it wasn’t the type of power to say, ‘I can’t come forward.’ Because if it were that type of power, I wouldn’t have come forward.”
What power McGregor had, he failed to use it with the way he was throwing arm punches instead of loading up. McGregor hit Mayweather with a minimum of 3 solid punches in the entire fight. The rest of the shots McGregor landed were jabs and arm punches. It’s no wonder that Mayweather was able to walk McGregor down with the way he was throwing such weak shots.
McGregor’s corner should have made some adjustments when Mayweather started to walk forward. That’s McGregor’s fault for failing to get a boxing trainer to help him prepare for Mayweather. McGregor stuck with his MMA coach, which was not wise. A good trainer would have known right away how to stop Mayweather from walking forward the way he was. Mayweather didn’t fight like that in his matches against Marcos Maidana and Saul Canelo Alvarez. Those guys would have lit Mayweather up if he fought like that against them. Mayweather was leaning backwards all the time against those guys.
McGregor, 29, came into the Mayweather fight with little more than a puncher’s chance of winning. The odds were heavily stacked against the UFC fighter and rightly so. He was making his debut in boxing without any experience whatsoever in that sport. You cannot count UFC competition as experience in boxing. That’s a completely different animal. It’s like saying NFL player has the experience to compete against Mayweather because it’s a contact sport. We’re talking different sports, and it’s confusing why the Nevada State Athletic Commission ever sanctioned the Mayweather-McGregor face.
Master P is broadening the roster that’s involved in his new GMGB league, which he co-owns with Tiny, and he’s recruiting a big name in basketball history to join as a head coach. Lisa Leslie is signing on as head coach of the New Orleans Gators, while the No Limit CEO is also grabbing more players for the league.
Not only is Leslie joining GMGB as a coach for the Gators, but Metta World Peace will be coming onto the team’s roster as a player.
“Coach Leslie’s expertise, history and knowledge of the game will create a championship atmosphere for our team,” Master P says of the signing. “We are excited and blessed to have her join our family, The New Orleans Gators. GMGB is a professional co-ed basketball league and Lisa Leslie is no stranger to playing against guys earlier in her career. She started off playing guys from the streets to the pros. I had a chance to experience her hard work and competitiveness first-hand. I played her during the Summer of my pro career. She’s smart, she knows basketball and she’s a beast on the court. That’s the kind of spirit we need in our Gators organization.”
As far as signing World Peace, a source tells TMZ the recruit was a “no-brainer” to join the hip-hop mogul’s charitable league.
“It was a no-brainer inking the deal with Metta World Peace,” says the Gators rep. “He’s in super shape and he’s well able to help any NBA team. He will be a huge factor in our league, he’s tough, competitive and plays excellent defense.”
Along with Metta World Peace, the Louisiana Connection, which consists of Big Baby Glen Davis, Stromile Swift and Tyrus Thomas, will be joining the New Orleans Gators as players. The three players are all former LSU Tigers and ex-NBA stars.
Congratulations to Lisa Leslie, Metta World Peace and all of the recruits on their news gigs with GMGB.
Floyd Mayweather defeated a game but tiring Conor McGregor by TKO in the 10th round Saturday night at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Referee Robert Byrd stopped the bout at 1:05 of the 10th round.
Mayweather (50-0, 27 KOs), a former five-division world champion, came out of a two-year retirement to fight McGregor, the UFC lightweight champion who was making his professional boxing debut.
Colin Kaepernick has thanked the participants of Wednesday’s rally in support of him outside NFL headquarters in New York, saying in a tweet that his “faith always has been and always will be in the power of the people.”
Kaepernick took to Twitter a day after more than 1,000 people, many wearing jerseys bearing his name, crowded the steps outside the league’s midtown Manhattan offices.
The protesters’ demands included that he be signed by the start of the regular season next month.
Kaepernick refused to stand for the national anthem last season while with the San Francisco 49ers to protest police brutality against black people.
Chants at the demonstration included, “Boycott! Boycott!”
Earlier Wednesday, the NAACP called for a meeting with the NFL to discuss the fate of Kaepernick, who was born to a white woman and a black man but was adopted by a white couple.
The civil rights organization’s interim president, Derrick Johnson, said in a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell that it’s apparently “no sheer coincidence” that Kaepernick isn’t on a roster.
Goodell has said the league isn’t blackballing Kaepernick.