Season 2 of Insecure, our new favorite sit-com, kicked off last night (Sunday, July 23rd) with the premiere of episode 1 “Hella Great.” If you haven’t been on, let me put you on. Insecure is the HBO series by Issa Rae, also known as “The Awkward Black Girl,” that has been keeping fans like me on edge every Sunday for the past year. The series started in 2016 and we all fell in love with Issa and her friends as they are all revolutionary in their own right. Insecure illustrates the modern-day young black professional and the daily tasks that are faced in the workplace and social life. By tasks (italicized for emphasis), I mean dealing with micro-aggression’s, relationships, and dating. In season 1 there are hooks ups, break ups, quick read’s, random freestyles, and those “laugh my ass off” moments that trigger memories. Now that we’ve been blessed with a second season and, spoiler alert, the premiere gives you all kinds of life, we get to see what happens after that cliff hanger of a finale from season one.
Already, season two, episode one, takes your emotions on a ride, a roller-coaster ride. One minute
you’re thinking, “Yes, they worked it out, love exists!” Then the next minute you’re engulfed with a relatable freestyle. All while trying to figure out what this season holds after the steamy season betwixt former lovers Issa and Lawrence, and boom; just like that the end credits start rolling. Will Issa and Lawrence get back together? Whatever happened to Daniel? Is the cute bank teller bae, Tasha, just Lawrence’s rebound? Will the counseling help Molly? There is so much given in the first episode that by the end of those, commercial free (Thank God for HBO on-demand), thirty-minutes, you’re deeply in your feelings.
Without saying too much, i’ll give my five (5) predictions, and i’m hoping that the series, finger’s crossed, doesn’t become predictable.
- Lawrence and Tasha will not last. She’s everything that Issa is not. She is something new, supportive of Lawrence’s start-up, supportive of the grind at Best Buy, and playful, however just a rebound. Tasha is really into Lawrence but Lawrence is fresh out of a relationship that ended like a near fatal car crash. Lawrence and Issa’s relationship is in intensive care right now as we speak, so don’t get too excited about bank teller bae.
- Molly is going to find love but in an unexpected way as she opens up in counseling. We get to see more of her story.
- Daniel and Issa have some serious unfinished business that may or may not spill over into the finale. (wink, wink)
- Tiffany’s husband is going to come out sooner or later and/or she’ll at least get suspicious and start to wonder if he’s gay. We see all of this in the first episode, watch closely, and in episode 8, Kelly playfully hints around to it. Just watch.
- Sorry, but I don’t think Issa and Lawrence are going to get back together. Here’s why: they’re both at two pivotal moments in their lives where exploration is the healthier option. Lawrence has a a great job opportunity and Issa is making moves in her department at the non-profit. If they were truly meant to be, then Issa wouldn’t have cheated, Lawrence would not have any interest in the bank teller, and we’d all still be back for Insecure Sunday’s at 10:30pm. The last scene in episode one was an itch that needed to be scratched.
Catch up with the cast below and make sure you tune in every Sunday at 10:30pm EST. on HBO to find out just what happens with Issa and her friend’s.
Also, are you #TeamIssa or #TeamLawrence