Cops called for Manziel incident; QB not arrested
Police were called to investigate an incident involving Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel in Fort Worth, Texas, early Saturday.
Fort Worth police said in a statement Saturday that officers were called to an apartment building around 2 a.m. about a possible assault. Police talked to a 23-year-old woman, who was not the caller, who said she had been involved in an incident earlier in the evening with her ex-boyfriend in Dallas. A preliminary investigation determined that a possible assault had occurred, though the woman refused to cooperate with officers and there was no evidence of a crime scene in Fort Worth.
The woman also told officers she was concerned about her ex-boyfriend’s welfare. Police officers attempted to locate him, including by helicopter, and later determined that he was safe and not in danger.
Fort Worth police confirmed the man in the report was Manziel. They said they are working with Dallas police to determine if any criminal offenses occurred, which Dallas police confirmed in a statement.
When asked about the incident by ESPN, the Browns said they would have no comment at this time. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told ESPN the league was aware of the incident and “looking into it.”
Manziel was questioned by police in October after a domestic incident involving his girlfriend at the time, though it was not immediately clear whether the same woman was involved in this incident.
In the October incident, several witnesses called police after seeing Manziel and a woman arguing in a vehicle. The argument escalated to the point that she tried to leave the car as it exited a highway.
Both Manziel and the woman admitted to arguing, and Manziel told police they had been drinking earlier in the day. The police officer made the determination that Manziel was not intoxicated and he was not charged. The NFL investigated the incident and announced in November that Manziel would not be disciplined.
It has been a tumultuous few months for the quarterback. Less than a week after being named the Browns’ starter in mid-November, a video surfaced online of Manziel holding a bottle at an Austin, Texas, club during the team’s bye week. The next day, then-Browns coach Mike Pettine announced that he was demoting Manziel to the third string for the next game.
A little more than a month later, Manziel was ruled out of the team’s season finale with a concussion and did not attend the game. Reports surfaced that Manziel had been seen at a casino in Las Vegas that weekend.
Manziel spent 10 weeks in treatment for undisclosed reasons before this past season.
At the time of new Browns coach Hue Jackson’s hiring earlier this month, a source close to the situation told ESPN’s Dan Graziano that Manziel was discussed at length in meetings between Jackson and Browns ownership. In those discussions, Jackson indicated that if he were to become head coach he would prefer the organization part ways with Manziel, and Jackson was told that would not be a problem. Jackson said earlier this week that he had not talked to Manziel yet.
If the Browns want to release Manziel, the earliest they can do so is Feb. 8, the day after the Super Bowl, when the NFL’s waiver system begins. Teams can’t make trades until the new league year begins March 9.